The University of Virginia School of Architecture seeks a Project Manager for the first phase of the UVA Landscape Studies Initiative. This position is funded by the Mellon Foundation and is a three-year appointment to begin in August 2017.
The Project Manager will lead the first phase of the UVA Landscape Studies Initiative under the direction of the Faculty Directors. The position works closely with faculty and staff across the School of Architecture, UVA Libraries, and the College of Arts & Sciences to set a research and implementation agenda for an innovative digital resource in landscape design history. Under the direction of the Project Manager, the interdisciplinary Landscape Studies Initiative research group will create a database of landscape places, terms, and types that are geo-spatially referenced on a global scale. The digital resource will make use of a suite of visualization tools to support new creative interpretations and critical cartographies of historic landscapes. The digital resource will function as both a research platform and pedagogic tool. Digital humanities and technical experts on the team will create metadata terms, catalogue images and texts, and design a database interface and search engine.
The ideal candidate will have a terminal degree in Landscape Architecture, Architectural History, Cultural Geography, or a related field. A master's degree is required, with preference for a PhD, MLA, MArch, or comparable terminal degree in the field. The candidate will have subject matter expertise in landscape history and interpretation, a facility with digital media, project management experience, and an interest in intellectual endeavors that involve digital scholarship. 1-4 years of professional experience are required.
The Project Manager's responsibilities include:
- Oversee the implementation and modification of the research design process and provide advice on research methodologies (General, covers all responsibilities)
- Work independently and as part of an interdisciplinary research team; work with senior faculty to accomplish project goals (General, covers all responsibilities)
- Manage student research assistants and assist Faculty Directors with the development of project curriculum
- Serve as liaison between UVA technical staff and faculty within the University and School of Architecture and other departments within the university on the development of a suite of custom metadata, visualization tools, and keyword-searchable text and images for the digital resource
- Coordinate between the internal research group, grant partners, and external advisory board
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data to make recommendations for future study or application
To apply, visit https://jobs.virginia.edu and search on Posting Number 0620834. Complete a Candidate Profile on-line; attach a CV, cover letter, and provide contact information for three references.
For more information on how to apply, please contact Stella Kim at 434-982-5457. The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.